Events Calender
23/524/525/526/527/528/529/5
30/531/51/62/63/64/65/6
6/67/68/69/610/611/612/6
13/614/615/616/617/618/619/6
To see the links move the mouse on the highlighted days!
Milanofotografo.it
Culture and Fun Section
HomePhotographyServices (only Italian)

Church of San Giorgio al Palazzo

Foto Church of San Giorgio al Palazzo -  Churches / Religious buildings
Foto Church of San Giorgio al Palazzo -  Churches / Religious buildings
Foto Church of San Giorgio al Palazzo -  Churches / Religious buildings
Foto Church of San Giorgio al Palazzo -  Churches / Religious buildings
Foto Church of San Giorgio al Palazzo -  Churches / Religious buildings
Foto Church of San Giorgio al Palazzo -  Churches / Religious buildings
Foto Church of San Giorgio al Palazzo -  Churches / Religious buildings
Foto Church of San Giorgio al Palazzo -  Churches / Religious buildings
Foto Church of San Giorgio al Palazzo -  Churches / Religious buildings
Foto Church of San Giorgio al Palazzo -  Churches / Religious buildings
Show an other treasure of art and history in Milan:
Milan - Churches / Religious buildings: Church of San Giorgio al PalazzoMostly represented styles: Baroque - Neoclassic

The church of San Giorgio al Palazzo is located on Torino street, the same street along which is also the church of Santa Maria at San Satiro.

Like many other churches in Milan, also that of San Giorgio is rich in history and contains elements of many different ages.
The very first version of the church dates back to 750. It was built on the ancient ruins of the imperial palace built by Diocletian as the seat of the Tetrarch.
The next, larger, version, is of the twelfth century. From the sixteenth century and for the next three centuries the building was affected by a number of interventions which modified its original appearance. In the sixteenth century some side chapels were built, including the Chapel of the Passion, with painting of 1516 by Bernardini Luini; in 1623 the church was renewed in Baroque style designed by Francesco Maria Richini. In 1774 the new facade was built, designed by Francesco Croce. Between 1800 and 1821 Luigi Cagnola oversaw the complete restoration of the interior of the church and finally, in 1899, the bell tower and the dome were completed of the neoclassical project of Alfonso Parakeets.

The decorative cycle in the chapel of the Blessed Sacrament includes paintings and frescoes painted by Bernardino Luini depicting scenes from the Passion of Christ: Deposition (altar), the Ecce Homo, the Flagellation, the Crowning with Thorns (upper lunette) and the Crucifixion (voult). The cycle has undergone a restoration in 1953.

Other pictures on the Google+ page

If you are interested in a guided tour of this monument send an email!

Categories: Churches / Religious buildings


Piazza San Giorgio, 20123 Milano
Further pictures of the Church of San Giorgio al Palazzo in the section Photography
Milano: Upper part of the facade of the Church of San Giorgio at the Palace
Milano: Statues on top of the facade of the Church of San Giorgio al Palazzo
Milano: Church of San Giorgio at the Palace