Events Calender
26/527/528/529/530/531/51/6
2/63/64/65/66/67/68/6
9/610/611/612/613/614/615/6
16/617/618/619/620/621/622/6
To see the links move the mouse on the highlighted days!
Milanofotografo.it
Culture and Fun Section
HomePhotographyServices (only Italian)

Sanctuary of Our Lady of Grace at Ortica

Foto Sanctuary of
Our Lady of Grace at Ortica -  Churches / Religious buildings
Foto Sanctuary of
Our Lady of Grace at Ortica -  Churches / Religious buildings
Foto Sanctuary of
Our Lady of Grace at Ortica -  Churches / Religious buildings
Foto Sanctuary of
Our Lady of Grace at Ortica -  Churches / Religious buildings
Foto Sanctuary of
Our Lady of Grace at Ortica -  Churches / Religious buildings
Foto Sanctuary of
Our Lady of Grace at Ortica -  Churches / Religious buildings
Foto Sanctuary of
Our Lady of Grace at Ortica -  Churches / Religious buildings
Foto Sanctuary of
Our Lady of Grace at Ortica -  Churches / Religious buildings
Foto Sanctuary of
Our Lady of Grace at Ortica -  Churches / Religious buildings
Foto Sanctuary of
Our Lady of Grace at Ortica -  Churches / Religious buildings
Show an other treasure of art and history in Milan:
Milan - Churches / Religious buildings: Sanctuary of
Our Lady of Grace at OrticaMostly represented styles: Baroque

The Sanctuary of Our Lady of Grace at Ortica (otherwise known as the Church of the Saints Faustino and Jovita, or Sanctuary of St. Faustino at Ortica) is a real hidden treasure of art and history of Milan, that very few know, also because only recently its interiors have been restored to their former splendor.

Located on the eastern outskirts of Milan, originally the church, one of the oldest of the East part of Milan, resulted largely out of town. The origin of the church is connected to the destruction of Milan in 1162 by Frederick Barbarossa. Following it, the inhabitants of the quarters Porta Nuova and Porta Eastern were exiled in the surrounding villages Lambrate and Cavriano. It is said that the
their hopes of returning to the city became prayer and in 1182 they asked for the intercession of Our Lady by dedicating her a simple graffiti. Indeed, the following year, with the Peace of Constance, Frederick Barbarossa recognized the municipal autonomy of Milan and the right of the inhabitants to return in town, and so the inhabitants decided to thank the Virgin Mary by painting over the graffiti a fresco called "Our Lady of Grace" (Photo 2). The graffiti was discovered under the fresco, during the last restoration. It contains: "... this is prayer ... in the year 1182 to 12 of April for mercy from God. Silano"
In 1182, the sanctuary was founded, originally dedicated to the Saint Faustino of Cavriano.
The sanctuary seems to have been consecrated for the first time in 1370. The building taht is currently visible is the result of a reshuffle of 1519, with a new rededication, by Monsignor Francesco Landino, Bishop of Lodi, on behalf of the at that time Archbishop of Milan Cardinal Ippolito d'Este.
In the same period the sacristy was added, with a voult covered by a fresco of Leonardo school.
The church has known centuries of degradation, while perhaps connected to a farmhouse, enough to be used, during the twentieth century, as a deposit.
Externally the building is very simple and almost without decorations (photos are not visible, because at the time of the visit completly hidden by scaffolding). The interiors are richly decorated with frescoes of the sixteenth century, both in terms of the aisle, both in the small sacristy. The frescoes in the latter can be attributed to an anonymous follower of the master lesson of Leonardo da Vinci.
Very curious frescoes in the nave, where prevail pastel shades of blue, green and, in particular, the pink. They differ from most of the frescoes in the more famous churches in Milan, and, if anything, they present some stylistic similarities with some of those present in the Duomo of Monza.

Other pictures on the Google+ page

If you are interested in a guided tour of this monument send an email!

Categories: Churches / Religious buildings


via Amadeo, 90 - 20134 Milano