Events Calender
23/224/225/226/227/228/21/3
2/33/34/35/36/37/38/3
9/310/311/312/313/314/315/3
16/317/318/319/320/321/322/3
To see the links move the mouse on the highlighted days!
Milanofotografo.it
Culture and Fun Section
HomePhotographyServices (only Italian)

Church of San Sepolcro

Foto Church of San Sepolcro -  Churches / Religious buildings
Foto Church of San Sepolcro -  Churches / Religious buildings
Foto Church of San Sepolcro -  Churches / Religious buildings
Foto Church of San Sepolcro -  Churches / Religious buildings
Foto Church of San Sepolcro -  Churches / Religious buildings
Foto Church of San Sepolcro -  Churches / Religious buildings
Foto Church of San Sepolcro -  Churches / Religious buildings
Foto Church of San Sepolcro -  Churches / Religious buildings
Foto Church of San Sepolcro -  Churches / Religious buildings
Foto Church of San Sepolcro -  Churches / Religious buildings
Show an other treasure of art and history in Milan:
Milan - Churches / Religious buildings: Church of San SepolcroMostly represented styles: Romanesque - Baroque - Neoromanesque

The Church of St. Sepulchre (Chiesa di San Sepolcro) is another sacred building in Milan very rich in history.
The first version of the church was built by Benedetto Rozone (or Ronzone) back in 1030.
Already in 1100, however, a new building was consecrated, which had been built in place of the previous one by the great-grandson of Ronzone, Ronzone Benedict Corticella, after the return from the First Crusade. He wished that the church was designed in imitation of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem.
The church has an upper part and an underearth part (crypt, of which we have not yet made ​​the photos). While the latter has remained fairly unchanged over the centuries, the upper part has undergone countless changes and updates, starting with the addition of two towers during the twelfth century.

Since 1577 the archbishop Carlo Borromeo had set up the two religious scenes visible in the form of life-size statues in polychrome terracotta on two opposite sides of the transept. One depicts Christ crowned with thorns, and the other the washing of the feet.

In 1605 Federico Borromeo commissioned the architect Aurelio Trezzi to restore and renew the Church of St. Sepulchre, at that time in a poor state. The Trezzi transformed it into a Baroque church and erected at the side and in the rear of the church in the Biblioteca Ambrosiana.
Furthermore two chapels were added on either side of the entrance.

Between 1896 and 1897, by architect Gaetano Moretti and Cesare Nava, the Baroque façade was demolished and it was rebuilt in forms mimicking the Lombard Romanesque style.

In 1929, finally, the parish corresponding to the Church of St. Sepulchre was suppressed and the church became property of the Biblioteca Ambrosiana.

Other pictures of the Church of St. Sepulchre on the Google+ page!

If you are interested in a guided tour of this monument send an email!

Categories: Churches / Religious buildings


piazza San Sepolcro 20123 Milano
Further pictures of the Church of San Sepolcro in the section Photography
Milano: Baroque interiors of the Church of St. Sepulchre (Chiesa di San Sepolcro)
Milano: Altar and apsis of the Church of St. Sepulchre (Chiesa di San Sepolcro)