Events Calender
21/922/923/924/925/926/927/9
28/929/930/91/102/103/104/10
5/106/107/108/109/1010/1011/10
12/1013/1014/1015/1016/1017/1018/10
To see the links move the mouse on the highlighted days!
Milanofotografo.it
Culture and Fun Section
HomePhotographyServices (only Italian)

Abbey of Chiaravalle

Foto Abbey of Chiaravalle -  Churches / Religious buildings
Foto Abbey of Chiaravalle -  Churches / Religious buildings
Foto Abbey of Chiaravalle -  Churches / Religious buildings
Foto Abbey of Chiaravalle -  Churches / Religious buildings
Foto Abbey of Chiaravalle -  Churches / Religious buildings
Foto Abbey of Chiaravalle -  Churches / Religious buildings
Foto Abbey of Chiaravalle -  Churches / Religious buildings
Foto Abbey of Chiaravalle -  Churches / Religious buildings
Foto Abbey of Chiaravalle -  Churches / Religious buildings
Foto Abbey of Chiaravalle -  Churches / Religious buildings
Show an other treasure of art and history in Milan:
Milan - Churches / Religious buildings: Abbey of ChiaravalleMostly represented styles: Gothic - Renaissance

The Abbey of Chiaravalle (in Latin Sanctae Mariae Clarævallis Mediolanensis, also known as Santa Maria di Roveniano) is a Cistercian monastery complex located immediately south of the main city complex of Milan. It was founded in the twelfth century by St. Bernard of Clairvaux as a subsidiary of the Abbey of Citeaux and an agricultural village developed around it. The entire complex was annexed to the municipality of Milan in 1923.

The church is one of the earliest examples of Gothic architecture in Italy, and is built entirely of red brick.
The first church was built starting from 1135, but the current one is in fact a construction which started only between 1150 and 1160. It was gradually enriched with various elements: during the XIII century the first Cloister was built, located south of the church. Later, in the fourteenth century, the lantern was built, the refectory and a chapel now used as a vestry. In 1490, Bramante and Giovanni Antonio Amadeo commissioned by Cardinal Ascanio Maria Sforza Visconti, began the construction of the Great Cloister and of the Chapter: in the Renaissance period many painters and artists worked at the abbey; of this period are the works of Bernardino Luini. Later, from 1613 to 1616, the so called Fiammenghi were commissioned to decorate the interior walls of church, which were literally covered with the beautiful frescoes visible even today.
With the transition to the nineteenth century, the complex began instead to lose pieces: under the Cisalpine Republic many parts of the monastery were demolished and only the church, a small part of the cloister, the refectory and the buildings entrance remained intact.
In 1861, to make way for the railway line Milan - Pavia and Genoa, the great cloister of Bramante was unfortunately destroyed.

Fortunately, what's left is still more than enough to make the Abbey of Clairvaux a wonderful monument, in particular the frescoes in the rear of the church, the cloister and the great tower. Worthy of note is also the fine walnut choir.

More photos at Google+ page

If you are interested in a guided tour of this monument send an email!

Categories: Churches / Religious buildings


Via Sant'Arialdo, 102 Chiaravalle Milanese, 20139 Milano
Further pictures of the Abbey of Chiaravalle in the section Photography
Milano: Detail of the interior of the Abbey of Chiaravalle
Milano: Frescos on the voult of the aps of the Abbey of Chiaravalle
Milano: Interior of the Abbey of Chiaravalle
Milano: Frescos inside the Abbey of Chiaravalle
Milano: Interiors of the Abbey of Chiaravalle
Milano: Detail of the interior of the Abbay of Chiaravalle
Milano: Tower of the Abbey of Chiaravalle
Milano: Court of the Abbey of Chiaravalle
Milano: Part of the interiors of the Abbey of Chiaravalle