Events Calender
2/43/44/45/46/47/48/4
9/410/411/412/413/414/415/4
16/417/418/419/420/421/422/4
23/424/425/426/427/428/429/4
To see the links move the mouse on the highlighted days!
Milanofotografo.it
Culture and Fun Section
HomePhotographyServices (only Italian)

Church of San Fedele

Foto Church of San Fedele -  Churches / Religious buildings
Foto Church of San Fedele -  Churches / Religious buildings
Foto Church of San Fedele -  Churches / Religious buildings
Foto Church of San Fedele -  Churches / Religious buildings
Foto Church of San Fedele -  Churches / Religious buildings
Foto Church of San Fedele -  Churches / Religious buildings
Foto Church of San Fedele -  Churches / Religious buildings
Foto Church of San Fedele -  Churches / Religious buildings
Foto Church of San Fedele -  Churches / Religious buildings
Foto Church of San Fedele -  Churches / Religious buildings
Show an other treasure of art and history in Milan:
Milan - Churches / Religious buildings: Church of San FedeleMostly represented styles: Renaissance - Baroque

Also the Church of San Fedele is very little visited by tourists, despite being a church of historical and aesthetic value, and despite being in the square just behind Piazza della Scala and a short walk from one of the entrances of the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele.

It was built in 1569 for the Society of Jesus, and is one of the most important examples of architecture of the Counter-Reformation. It was consecrated in 1579 by Archbishop St. Carlo Borromeo.
The construction of the Church of San Fedele, the first house of the Jesuits in Milan, was inserted in the program of reorganization of the diocese wanted by Carlo Borromeo, who commissioned the project to Pellegrino Tibaldi (1569). The artistfollowed the liturgical requirements laid down by the Council of Trent and acquired by the order, providing a building with a single nave, which enhanced the centrality of the altar for the Eucharistic celebration and a pulpit on a side to facilitate the preaching.

The Church of San Fedele has a stone façade of Angera stone crowned by a classical pediment. The interior has a single nave and a longitudinal plan. On the sides there are four chapels and confessionals surmounted by galleries.

Of particular interest is the second chapel on the right wall, dedicated to the ascension of Christ, and designed by the Tibald. The original altarpiece of the Coronation of Mary by Ambrogio Figino (1581-1587) was later replaced by the Holy Transfiguration and signed by Bernardino Campi in collaboration with Carlo Urbino (1565), coming from Santa Maria della Scala, and both are now in the forsacristy, to make way to the Sacred Heart Ceramic Lucio Fontana (1956). In the contrary the the four panels on the side walls remained in place.

A special mention is deserved by the Museum San Fedele, "an Art and Faith tour includes the crypt, the sacristy, the «chapel of the ballet dancers» and a little gallery of paintings and reliquaries."

Other picture of the Church of San Fedele on the Google+ page

Source:
Wikipedia

If you are interested in a guided tour of this monument send an email!

Categories: Churches / Religious buildings


Piazza San Fedele, 4 20121 Milano
Further pictures of the Church of San Fedele in the section Photography
Milano: San Fedele square, with Church of San Fedele and statue of Alessandro Manzoni
Milano: Church of San Fedele